Monday, March 21, 2016

Example of Descriptive Essay

Complete this form to create your outline for Essay 1…

Tentative title for your essay: ____LAX: An Assault on the Senses_________________

I. Introduction
Thesis statement: __Los Angeles International Airport is a place where all aspects of my senses get tested. ___________________________________________________________________
Your thesis statement should be a complete sentence that (1) identifies the location of your observation and (2) expresses your point of view on the location. Note: The thesis statement need not be the first sentence of your essay. A good place for the thesis is usually the last sentence of your introductory paragraph.

II. Supporting point 1: __LAX airport was crowded and busy even before I entered it.
Try to express your point in a complete sentence that can serve as a topic sentence for the paragraph.
List specifics and details that you plan to use to develop your point.
A.    ___huge LAX sign seen from the freeway, cars trying to find parking_______
B.    ___buses, taxis dropping off and picking people up
C.    ___planes flying overhead, conveyer belts, baggage claims, schedule boards 
D.    ___TSA area – people waiting: soldiers, business people, families with children, etc. 

III. Supporting point 2: __I heard raucuous noise from so much going on inside the terminal. 

A.    __screeching tires, honking, airplanes taking off 
B.    __”Flight 609 now boarding. Last call, flight 609 now boarding” 
C.    __babies, children, mothers: “Matthew, stop running around!” 
D.    __dogs barking at luggage______________________________

IV. Supporting point 3: ___Touch and smell changed all around me. _______

A.    ____smoke from cars and cigarettes, strong perfume_____________
B.    ____smells of coffee and McDonald’s food ____________________
C.    ____air conditioner COLD, smooth leather seats________________
D.    ____hot and musty between peole in line______________________

(Add more supporting points if necessary.)

Example Essay

LAX: An Assault on the Senses
Aren’t vacations exciting? Packing and setting the alarm a day before already gets me anxious. I lay in bed thinking: What will Hawaii look like? What will there be for me to taste or touch? I wonder if I can actually smell the exotic flowers in the air. Is there traffic like there is in LA? Or is it calm, silent, and peaceful? Before I can even experience all my thoughts, I have to go through LAX airport: the place where all the aspects of my senses get tested first.
LAX airport was crowded and busy even before I entered it. Right when I exited the 105 freeway, I immediately saw the huge LAX sign. Off the sides, I saw the enormous poles that lit up at night. When I first entered terminal one, there were already people in their cars trying to find parking. Buses, taxis, and shuttles were dropping and picking up people, while others were running around trying to find a cart to put their luggage in. Every forty- five seconds, I could see an airplane the size of the Titanic, flying above my head. Inside the terminals were lines for people to check in. In addition to the check-in point, there were conveyor belts, baggage claims, gift shops, and a massive board posting flight schedules. The most overwhelming sight to see was the TSA area. (This is where x-ray scans take place before going into the gates.) Additionally, I saw all types of people waiting for their flights. There were soldiers, business men and women, families with children running and playing around, and I even saw flight attendants. My eyes never rested because of the rate of movement in LAX airport.
There were so many things going on that it was impossible to avoid all the raucous noise that went on inside the terminals. The screeching tires and honking vehicles rang an annoying bell in my ears. But that was nothing compared to the shaking ground and the “rooooooom” from the airplanes taking off. Then there was the intercom voice: “Flight 609, now boarding. Last call, flight 609 now boarding.” Somehow, the intercom voice was the most soothing voice because it meant that vacation was getting nearer. On the other hand, crying babies and screaming children were the most disturbing sound that ever encountered my ears. Their mothers were screaming at them, “Matthew! Stop running around!” and some mothers were singing their babies to sleep. On top of that, the dogs jogged around sniffing, and of course, barking at certain luggage. It seemed like peace and quiet ran away to get married and never came back.
Not only were there so many sights to see and so much noise to listen to, the touch and smell changed all around me. I smelled the smoke from vehicles and cigarettes in the hands of air polluters. As people walked by me, their cologne and perfume charged up my nose. However, the aroma of coffee and McDonald’s food brought a smile to my face. Besides all the different smells in the air, I was able to feel the coldness from the air conditioner. The chill in the terminals made the handles on the luggage carts cold. Beyond the ghostly chill, the leather seats were smooth but warm from the many bodies that sat on them. However, the experience was not over until I passed the overly crowded lines, which lead to the plane. It was not impossible to feel hot and musty between the people in line.
In retrospect, LAX airport touched all the aspects of my senses. I was able to see so many sights of such vehicles, airplanes, terminals, and people. In addition, I was able to hear screeching tires, honking vehicles, and even families yelling at each other. Moreover, I smelled smoke from machines and humans, and I also got to feel the welcoming chill from the air conditioner. In spite of LAX airport being busy, it was still possible for me to see, hear, smell, and touch every dimension of the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment